Halloween 2021 is right around the corner. But it’s not too late to plan a spooky transformation for a Halloween party. These backyard Halloween party ideas are easy to customize to your own space, and you can go cute for the little ones and extra creepy for an adults-only party. Invite guests to come in costume for more fun.
If you’re a big Halloween fan, you may have some decorations stashed away from previous years. Otherwise, check out Amazon Prime or your local Halloween store or Party City for some last-minute items to complete the look. Here are some of our top ideas:
Set the Tone with Spooky Scenes
- Use black and orange string lights to cast a ghoulish glow.
- Hang bats, bats, and more bats from trees, doorways, retaining walls, etc. You can make them yourself from black felt and a pattern.
- Drape fake spider webbing and cobwebs in trees, over bushes, along the fence, etc.
- If you have a skeleton, place him or her in a patio chair to mingle with guests.
- Use dry ice to create a fog.
- If you have a pool, use pool lights to cast a green glow, and use floating pumpkins or scarier items.
- Use your imagination and go over the top with motion-activated props to scare your guests.
Fix Frightful Food
We don’t know about you, but it’s not a Halloween party unless there are some frightful food items involved. Some of our favorites include:
- Witch’s Brew – a punch of your choice with dry ice surrounding the punch bowl. Consider placing some floating eyeballs or a floating hand in it.
- Witch Finger Sugar Cookies
- Spiderweb Cake
- Eyeball Pasta
Get creative and do your research to find recipes (check out Tasty.co) you know your guests will love.
Create an age-appropriate playlist and use your outdoor sound system, Bluetooth speaker, or smart speaker to broadcast spooky sounds and creepy tunes that will help set the mood.
From screams and maniacal laughter to the Monster Mash to Thriller, there are endless possibilities. Try to create a playlist that is long enough songs won’t repeat.
Again, you will need to select games that are age-appropriate. Some of these ideas work for all ages, but some are adults-only.
- Bobbing for Apples – an age-old favorite.
- Monster Mash – a dance competition with prizes! Pick your own categories.
- Scavenger Hunt – hide items throughout your property and give creepy clues to find them. The first one to collect them all wins.
- Costume Contest – let your guests vote.
- Hire a Psychic – give individual readings to adult guests.
- Halloween Movie Trivia – for a ghoulish geek out.
For more adult Halloween games we won’t mention here, visit Good Housekeeping. As always, if guests don’t seem fit to drive home, offer them a place to stay overnight, or call an Uber to get them home safely.
Most importantly, have fun and enjoy the holiday!
Dream It. Build It. Live It.
Did you know that you can still schedule upgrades to your outdoor living space? If your concrete patio is cracked, or you want to add an outdoor kitchen and outdoor fireplace, we can help. To schedule a consultation, just fill out the contact form, or call us at 301.720.1000.
We deliver custom design and installations to homeowners throughout the Capital Region, including Maryland, DC, and Northern Virginia.